Choosing What to Sell on Shopify
Is it just us, or is the day so much better when you get that email or app notification letting you know that your online purchase has been safely delivered to your home? Whether or not you get that endorphin rush when you see a package on your doorstep, you probably still know that online shopping and ecommerce are huge sectors of our economy. According to Shopify, a popular ecommerce platform, the ecommerce market is expected to total $5.55 trillion globally in 2022. While you probably already know the importance of having an ecommerce presence, you might not have taken the plunge because you’re just not sure what to offer. Just having your Shopify site running doesn’t mean it will be successful. Deciding what to sell on Shopify is critical.
Shopify, as well as its premium model Shopify Plus, is well-known to most web-based business owners and marketers alike. It allows businesses to establish their online store, and is known for its reliability, security, ease of use, and top-notch customer support. It will give you a great foundation, but it’s up to you to choose what to sell on Shopify to help your business stand out among your competitors.
Best Items to Sell on Shopify
Here are some of the top selling products on Shopify:
- Health and fitness equipment We’re not sure if it’s a reaction to people not being able to go to their gyms for a year or so, but health and fitness equipment is in high demand, especially yoga mats.
- Office supplies Work-from-home and hybrid operation models have increased the overall number of offices, making office supplies a great option to sell on Shopify – think laptop skins and mousepads.
- Smartphone accessories Our phones are so much a part of our lives so why not accessorize them? Shopify bestselling products include things like covers, screen protectors, grips, mounts, and holders.
- Regional pride products People are proud of where they are from and/or live! Many sellers opt to add items with local slogans or dialects to sell on Shopify.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable items A survey conducted by Global Consumer Insights (1) showed that 52% of respondents described themselves as “increasingly eco-friendly.” Reusable water bottles, recyclable packaging, reusable straws, and products made from sustainable materials appeal to these buyers and are good candidates to sell on Shopify.
- Face masks Even though we are all hoping the worst of the pandemic is behind us, masks are still one of the best things to sell on Shopify. They are still a part of life in many parts of the world.
- Products for pet lovers According to the American Pet Products Association (2), Americans spent $103.6 billion on their pets in 2020! When choosing what to sell on Shopify, you can’t go wrong with offering something to help people pamper their furry family members.
How to Decide What to Sell on Shopify
The above list is only a small sampling of some of the products trending in ecommerce. So how do you decide which ones to offer? Here’s some ways:
- Google Trends The above suggestions are performing well on Google Trends. It’s a free, helpful tool to quickly look at a product’s popularity.
- Competitive research When you search on industry keywords, what pops up as options for you to buy?
- Poll your customers Get valuable insight and increase engagement on your social channels by adding a poll.
- Search for creative swag You may be thinking, “I don’t sell anything on the list you provided!” That’s ok! Can you have a little fun with your brand? Wouldn’t Fido look great wearing a bandana with your company logo? How about a witty tagline on a travel mug?
- Consider dropshipping Using this ecommerce method, you rely on third-party vendors to create and house the inventory of your product.
- Follow your passion You can load your store with all the best products to sell on Shopify, but if you’re not excited about your products, you won’t be successful in selling them.
Shopify is a great tool to help you create your online store. But it is imperative to do your homework when deciding what to sell on Shopify. And make sure you don’t settle for just an online store. There’s no shortage of ecommerce website development platforms to choose from and the same holds true with website developers, so be sure to choose wisely. When you choose our professional ecommerce web design and development services, your online store will do much more than sell products; it will work hand in hand with the other tools in your overall marketing strategy to help build brand awareness and underscore your credibility in the marketplace. Contact us today to get started.