How to Create a Digital Marketing Campaign Strategy
We live in a highly digital world, with an unfathomable amount of information available at our fingertips. Consumers are constantly connected, and this offers your business or organization many opportunities to break through and capture the attention of your audience – which, in turn, makes your digital marketing campaign strategy an integral part of your overall business strategy.
What is a Digital Marketing Campaign Strategy?
Your digital marketing campaign strategy is the roadmap that will help you achieve your digital objectives in support of your overall business plan. Your online campaign strategy should help you set goals; identify your target audiences and the best way to reach them; and measure your success. It helps guide the timing and budget of your digital media campaigns.
To develop your digital campaign strategy, you will need to think through some essential steps.
- Establish your digital strategy campaign goal. If you don’t know where you are going, how will you know if you have gotten there? While the possibilities are endless, organizations and businesses often utilize digital media campaigns to build brand awareness, increase conversions or social media followers, or reach new audiences. Your goal should be SMART – specific, measurable, attainable (do you have the ability to do it?), realistic (is the environment right for you to do it?), and timebound. The more focused your goal is, the more effective your digital marketing campaign strategy will be. Your goal should also align with your brand identity.
- Set your budget. As digital marketing becomes increasingly important, budgets for it must also. Be realistic about what you can allocate from your overall budget.
- Perform internal and external scans to identify assets and challenges. What content do you already have that can be utilized in your next online campaign strategy? What worked well in the past, or what didn’t work? A thorough review of these can help you save time and money moving forward. You will also want to know what and how your competitors are doing, so you can learn from their successes and failures, and set your business or organization apart.
- Identify your target audiences. Who specifically are you trying to reach with your digital marketing campaign strategy? Consider their location, age, gender, education and income level, what they do for a living, and their family dynamics. This also means knowing their priorities, how to connect with them, what they like and dislike, and what motivates them. Strategies that aim to target everyone actually target no one at all.
- Define your message. This is where you determine exactly what you want to say to your target audience, and what you are asking of them. Make sure it is tailored to appeal to them.
- Choose the right tactics and implement. The tactics in your digital marketing campaign strategy must meet your target audiences where they are. Some of the most successful digital marketing approaches include:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) includes adding words or phrases to your website to help it perform well on internet search functions. This is one of the most effective ways to direct more traffic to your website.
- Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is a digital advertising opportunity for your campaign. Using an auction-based system, you “bid” on strategic keywords, and your ad is triggered when those words appear in a search function. You pay for only what a user clicks on, so it is a cost-effective form of online paid advertising.
- Content marketing utilizes your business content, like videos, blogs, and infographics, to reach, connect, and engage with your audiences. This content can offer instruction, announcements, and behind-the-scenes looks at your organization or product.
- Email marketing is one of the most cost-efficient approaches to retain existing – and gain new – customers and supporters. It keeps your brand in their inboxes and on their minds on a regular basis.
- Social media marketing uses social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and LinkedIn to increase conversions and brand awareness, and build the reputation of your business or organization.
- Voice search optimization is a newer tactic in digital marketing campaign strategy that capitalizes on the increasing popularity of applications like Siri on Apple products and Alexa on the Amazon Echo. Voice searches use a slightly different search function than text, so it requires a different approach to optimization.
- Measure your success. Your digital marketing campaign strategy is pointless if you don’t measure how it performed and assess what went well and what did not. This will also inform future strategies.
Developing your digital marketing campaign strategy is essential to help you capitalize on the digital age and meet your overall goals. Our team at Paradigm is comprised of experts who would be delighted to get you started on your digital marketing strategy. Contact us today.