UI and UX in Digital Marketing: Like Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Did you know it takes only 54 milliseconds for a site visitor to form their opinion of your website (1)?
- And that 94% of those first impressions are made based on the design of your site (2)?
- And… that 48% of people say the design of their website is the most important factor in determining the credibility of a business (3)? [LC1]
How your website looks matters, big time. But what are the elements that make a user’s first impression a good one? Two of them are UI and UX. They are significant elements in a successful website design. And the sooner you know what they are, the better positioned you will be to harness the power of UI and UX in your digital marketing.
UX vs. UI: What’s the Difference?
UI and UX design in digital marketing are mentioned together so frequently, many people confuse them or think they are the same thing. Are UX and UI interchangeable? [LC2] UI and UX are different methods, but they complement each other and create synergy. Successful digital marketing uses UI and UX in tandem.
What is UI in marketing? User interface (UI) is the look and feel of a design – the fonts, colors, spacing, and visual elements. User experience (UX) design in digital marketing refers to the overall interaction a visitor has on your site. Strategic digital marketing using UX design will utilize surveys, user testing, and other research to identify what a consumer needs from a site and works to give it to them.
UI marketing is largely technical, visual, and informed by the insights provided by UX. UX is conceptual and based on cognitive science. UI in marketing is important because it can improve clickthrough rates by 200% (4). Digital marketing using UX design is valuable because it increases conversions and search engine optimization (SEO).
How Do UX and UI Work Together?
UI and UX in your digital marketing give your target audiences a comprehensive encounter with your brand. Focusing on UI and UX under your digital marketing umbrella has several advantages, including:
- Understanding the needs of your customer or client. UI and UX design marketing helps you dig in to get to know your target audience and what their hesitations are.
- Identifying problems. You can’t fix something if you don’t know it’s broken.
- Improving strategy. UI and UX digital marketing empowers you to make improvements based on feedback from your customers, doing more of what works and less of what doesn’t.
- Increasing appeal. UI and UX digital marketing makes your efforts more engaging and helps you better connect with consumers.
- Enhancing customer experience. It takes nine to 13 “touches,” or audience engagements, to make a lasting impression on your consumer. If even one of those touches leaves a sour taste for your potential customer, you’ve lost them, probably forever. When consumers have a positive experience with your brand, everybody wins.
At Paradigm, we are guided by “purpose driven” web design. That means we don’t just make websites look pretty; we utilize scientific theories to make them successful. That means UI and UX digital marketing gets our mojo going. We purposefully design each website to ensure it communicates your message and your brand and produces a call to action that moves the prospect to that next touch: requesting additional information, signing up for your newsletter, or purchasing your product or service. If we can use our UX and UI web design expertise to help you reach your business goals, please contact us today.